You can use squash or pumpkin interchangeably for this warming spiced soup shared by our friends and fellow Better Food Trader Growing Communities.
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 small fresh chilli, minced (or 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1 large squash (or small pumpkin) - about 1kg
1 litre vegetable stock
fresh coriander, chopped (about a handful)
sea salt and black pepper
toasted seeds and yoghurt (optional)
1) Saute the onion in the coconut oil for five mins until the onion is softened.
2) Add the garlic and chilli and cook for three mins more.
3) Incorporate the spices and fry for one min, stirring constantly so as to avoid burning.
4) Add your squash/pumpkin, ensuring it is coated in the spice mix.
5) Add stock, cover the pan and bring to the boil.
6) Uncover and simmer until the squash/pumpkin is tender (about 10-15 minutes).
7) Remove from heat and let cool slightly before blitzing with hand blender (or liquidiser).
8) Include your fresh coriander and serve with toasted seeds and yoghurt as desired.